Design Registration in Coimbatore
Design Registration in Coimbatore is an industrial design right reservation mainly to protect the visual design of objects that are not purely utilitarian. By Design Registration, the creator of the design gets some intellectual property rights. The industrial design consists of the creation of a shape, configuration or composition of pattern or color, or combination of pattern and color in three-dimensional form etc. The design can be of two or three-dimensional pattern which is used to produce a product, industrial commodity or handicraft.
India's Design Act, 2000 was enacted to consolidate and amend the law relating to protection of design and to comply with the articles 25 and 26 of TRIPS agreement. After the amendments of new law, it states and defines that the "design" to mean only the features of shape, configuration, pattern, ornament, or composition of lines or colors applied to any article. It may be two- or three-dimensional, or in both forms, by any industrial process or means, whether manual or mechanical or chemical, separate or combined, which is in the finished article appeal to and are judged solely by the eye; but does not include any mode or principle of construction.
Advantages of Design Registration in Coimbatore
- It gives a distinct identity to the product.
- This registration acts as a Unique Selling Point.
- This Registration Protects the Owner against copying the design by unauthorized users.
- It adds value to the product in the market.
- Can sue the infringer and can claim appropriate damages.
Process of Design Registration in Coimbatore
- Filing the application with images of product
- The application is scrutinized for examination
Documents Required for Design Registration in Coimbatore
- Original Certified Copy or copies of extracts
- Affidavits and
- Other related public documents (can submit at the time of payment)
The affidavits should contain a declaration of truth and verifiability and should be in paragraph form.